Dat Wallpaper

Monday, April 13, 2015

Convergence: Batman & Robin, Harley Quinn, Nightwing / Oracle

Just when you thought DC was done rebooting... BOOM, Convergence. And since none of the other bloggers are covering it, except Scipio, it's up to me to review these issues. And Stuff.

First up; Batman & Robin 1:

Cover Rating: 8/10

Location: New Earth

Plot:

     Some of the rogues attempt to take over Poison Ivy's food garden, which has been supplying New Earth Gotham with Food.


Batman (New Earth Bruce) and Robin (New Earth Damian) show up

lol

-, start to beat them up, and then Croc bites Batman, Jason shows up and Pulls A Jason


Batman and Robin go home, Damian get's pissy


Damian sneeks out and tries to fight Red Hood, Batman stops them


The Telos (he's the bad guy, i'll talk about him later) interrupts errythang


Then these guys show up as their opponents:

"Grrrrrr, we're a threat!"


End issue.

Art Quality: My only complaint is the quality of the inker. I can tell the semi-Scratchy quality isn't the pencillers fault. The Colors are nice and vibrant.

Thoughts: Breaking down the issue plot wise it's pretty simple, but that's not to say it's bad. I like the thought of Ivy playing good girl, seems like something she'd do. As for Jason, I'm not exactly sure I thought he'd turn out this way like Prime Earth Jason did. The return of Scarlett is always welcome though.

8/10

_________________________

Harley Quinn:

Cover Rating: 9/10

Location: New Earth

Plot:

     We open with Harley robbing a museum a few months ago, which gets horribly botched.


Right as she's being arrested, New Earth Gotham is Abducted by Braniac.


So then she's arrested and sent to therapy for a few months

10/10

The she visits the cop she beat with a hammer and eats his chocolate candy

Yet another 10/10

She and the cop hook up (I'll talk about that down below), and get an apartment together


Meanwhile, Poison Ivy is getting robbed AGAIN, but this time Catwoman helps her out


Then Telos announces the tournament thing, which includes Harley going up against...

Pffffffft... Give me sec...

Harley goes up against Captain Carrot


Ahem.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

...Phew. Do excuse me, I can't help myself.

Heh, so anyways they go to Harley, give her her costume, and anti-anti-psychotics:


Which results in

10/10 strikes again

End issue.

Art Quality: No complaints.

Thoughts: As I mentioned earlier, Harley dates a cop in this issue. New 52 Harley dates other peope than Joker all the time, which I've gotten used to. But New Earth Harley would NEVER do this. She can recuperate and try to live normal, but she will only ever love Joker. He will always be her first and only. The story / plot isn't bad, typical Harley Story.

9/10

_________________________________

Nightwing / Oracle #1:

Cover Rating: 10/10

The issue opens with a version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl (NOT versions from New Earth) destroying some western town called El Inferno (Which I have never heard of). They finish destroying it and head towards New Earth Gotham.

Then we cut to New Earth Dick Grayson. And like Prime Earth Dick Grayson, he has returned to being Nightwing. This somewhat irritates me, which I'll talk about down below. Anyways, he's running around stopping crimes like Mr Freeze's Museum Robbery, while Barbara narrates.

Notice the distinct amount of Museum Robberies in Convergence. Just saying.




I'm pretty sure this part of the issue must take place the night before Batman and Robin #1, because Mr Freeze hasn't been arrested yet, but is after this scene. I assume he broke out later this night or early in the morning and then went with the other rogues to rob Poison Ivy. And then Got arrested again.

Anyways, Nightwing briefly talks to Starfire, and then heads back to Oracle's Clocktower. Where they decide to go out to eat


Where the thing happens


So that was disappointing. I hope they don't die :/

Then Hawkman and Hawkgirl show up and they start fighting


They try to make a deal, but can't come to any agreeable terms, so Hm & Hg leave to let them think it over. And then Nightwing and Barabara start planning on how to fight them




End Issue.

Thoughts: I have way more complaints about this than the other two issues, so I'll put them in a list

1. Dick Grayson is Nightwing again. This all relates back to Batman Incorporated, which was way more prominent on New Earth. On Prime Earth it was just a throw away idea. There's WAY too much to talk about on this subject in a paragraph, but the point is Dick has no reason to be Nightwing again.

2. Babs and Dick aren't getting engaged. Convergence is probably the last time we'll ever hear or see New Earth, whether or not it's destroyed. So in it's last appearance, why wouldn't you tie up loose ends like this? Dick and Babs DESERVE to be together. I suppose it's not too late, if New Earth get's destroyed then I'll be very disappointed with  this development.

3. I have no idea what version of Hawkman and Hawkgirl that is. Or any idea about what the El Inferno place is. As far as I've googled, El Inferno is a character, not a place. Whatever I guess.

4. Nightwing being unable to take on Hawkman and Hawkgirl. I call absolute Bullshit. The writer clearly is mistaking this Dick for someone else.

Art Quality: No complaints.


6/10
_________________________

So far, so good in my opinion. I hope the Convergence keeps on Converging.

1 comment:

  1. It has come to my attention that the inking of B&R #1 is by Denys Cowan, and the penciling was done by THE Klaus Janson. I knew something was up with the art there.

    ReplyDelete